Ok Do This (OKDT)

• August 12, 2019 at 7:26 am #4229
    DigitalEyeDigitalEye
    Participant

Hi,

Back in 2015 (I think), there was a new photography platform called OKDT, which was the brought to life by Jeremy Cowart.

Unlike other platforms, it prompted real interaction *before* the photograph was ever taken. It was a collection of prompts/ideas for photographs (called DOs). You got inspiration from not only the DO, but from other people’s interpretation of the DO.

The interaction was very real and deep.

Anyhow…, Just wondering if setting challenges on Paul’s site would be a way to get to know each other and get even *more* inspiration.

Just a thought – what do you think?

Thanks,

Niall

August 12, 2019 at 7:30 am #4231
    DigitalEyeDigitalEye
    Participant

…, and yes! Having watched one of Paul’s videos I know have a better understanding of moire from check shirts. LOL

August 12, 2019 at 8:33 am #4232
    Keymaster

Hi Niall

That sounds intriguing.  I’ve just had a hunt around and the app / platform doesn’t seem to exist anymore (which is a shame – I thought I’d have a look and see the kind of thing they were doing!)

What kind of thing do you have in mind?  If we can find a way of making it work then let’s give it a go.  Do you think one a week would be sufficient frequency?

Let us know!

Paul Wilkinson FMPA FBIPP FSWPP

Be kind to yourself!

August 12, 2019 at 8:52 am #4233
    DigitalEyeDigitalEye
    Participant

Hi Paul,

Yes, the platform did well initially, but failed to reach a critical mass (compared to other platforms) and so it is no longer available.

I helped beta test the iOS app, so have some screenshots.

The DO is under the photograph.

I was just thinking of topics that might push some people / kinda out of their comfort zone. I found it fascinating that you could be inspired by (1) the DO itself; (2) other peoples interpretation of the DO; (3) what you could create in response to the DO; and (4) other people’s response to your image.

The interaction it created was genuine and did not suffer from the shallowness of other platforms.

One a week would be a good starting point. Maybe one a month – you don’t want to make this a pain point / hassle.

Just a mad thought this morning.

Have a good week,

Niall

August 16, 2019 at 10:00 am #4239
    Rachel ThornhillRachel Thornhill
    Participant

Hey Niall,

Sounds a very interesting and fun idea! I’d love to see how everyone interprets the same brief, and a fun task at the same time.

I’m in!

Rachel xx

In a world where we can be anything, be kind 💜

August 16, 2019 at 11:01 am #4242
    DigitalEyeDigitalEye
    Participant

Great!

A DO can be anything (which is handy). Some were serious, others whimsical.

For example, a selection of DOs could include:

• Shoot portraits in the woods.
    • Capture a genuine emotion.
    • Long shadows.
    • In Plane sight.
    • Photo inception.
    • Create a pattern using shadows.
    • Stop; Look up; And take a picture.
    • Kids were here.
    • Draw something.
    • Things that are probably older than you.
    • Portrait in natural light.

If it’s okay, I might start a new thread for a DO (single tread per DO).

Let’s see where it takes us 😉

Niall

August 16, 2019 at 11:21 am #4243
    Keymaster

Hi Niall

I think it’s a great idea.  Can you just hold fire for a second and I’ll set up a new Forum to do it.  I also need to road-test the image uploading process as it hasn’t been working correctly – it seems that the forum needs me to approve every image before it publishes which isn’t really practical.

Exciting!

Be kind to yourself!

August 16, 2019 at 11:27 am #4244
    Keymaster

The other thing we probably need to do is to think up a new name – we can’t use one that’s already been used I think.  Any ideas?

Be kind to yourself!

August 16, 2019 at 11:36 am #4245
    DigitalEyeDigitalEye
    Participant

Absolutely no panic. We will rock on, once you are happy.

A more generic: “Your Shot” (I know National Geographic use that term, but I don’t think it would cut across any trademark).

I will draft some guidelines. For example, we might suggest maximum sizes, so that the images are reasonably visible without needing to scroll.

Thanks,

Niall

August 16, 2019 at 11:38 am #4246
    Keymaster

It all sounds like a great idea – I’d love to learn from your previous experience with it!

Be kind to yourself!

August 18, 2019 at 10:47 pm #4354
    David Llewellyn-JonesDavid Llewellyn-Jones
    Participant

This sounds like it’ll be great fun! 😀

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.